Saturday, 9 September 2017

New Look 6035 Vest Top IV

I had fabric left over from my flared sleeve Mia Blouse as I seem to be in the habit of over compensating at the fabric shop at the moment. I had just enough left to make another from one of my go-to patterns, the New Look 6035.

This is my fourth vest top using this pattern. It's such a delight to sew! I was cut out and finished in just over an afternoon. The pattern consists of a front and back and binding for the neck and arm holes.

Sew easy!

I've seen a few people have commented before that the back neck is a little to wide and sags a little in the middle. I have found this too, so I decided to take action and took about about 1.5cm from the fold line before cutting (so 3cm in total). This solved it! If doing this, remember to take the same out of the neck band length.

Due to fabric restrictions I had to cut the neckband into two pieces and attach them so the seam lines up with the shoulder seams. I measured that my back neck was about 30cm, then worked out how long the front piece needed to be by subtracting this from the length of the pattern piece. Don't forget to add seam allowances! (3cm for the additional join)

The gathering stitches in the front of the top are then pulled to fit the neckband. Just like magic you have yourself a vest top that just needs hemming. A quick win and perfect when you're left with an awkward amount of fabric!


Location: Bolehill Quarry, Derbyshire
Currently listening to: Everybody Knows I Love You, Carmen Ghia and The Hotrods

No comments:

Post a Comment