Sunday 8 May 2016

Child's Baking Apron


I've made it no secret that I've got the sewing bug. If anyone asks, my eyes widen, I throw my hands up and announce 'I just can't stop!'. It was no different when Neil, our lovely stores delivery man at work said he'd seen my latest creation in the Hospital news letter and complimented me on my skills. He then went on to tell me that his grand daughter had been asking him to get her an apron for baking- would I be interested in making one.
Usually I'd shy away from tasks and projects for other people, scared of getting it wrong or cocking up the fit, but I thought I could really have some fun with an apron. And what could go wrong?


With the information she's five years old and 'It has to be pink' I agreed and set to at the weekend. I scoured my Love Sewing mags for a child's apron, only to find a few adult ones! The pattern I settled on came from MerrimentDesign.com without a print out/cut out pattern, but more a few dimensions to get started. The blog post stated that the sizing was ideal for a two year old. Not being the most maternal, I'm not going to lie, I don't much know the difference between a two year old and a five year old, so I relied on a little guess work and sized the pattern up here and there as I went along.


The instructions on the blog are great, until I came looking for post number two which was nowhere to be found! Reading the comments someone else was on the search for it but it was revealed part two never arrived. This lead to me doing quite a bit of improv. when it came to attaching top, bottom and waistband. So for next time- if I remember rightly, I stitched waistband to bottom panel r/s together 1.5cm s/a. Top panel to waistband r/s together 1.5cm s/a. Then turned in 1.5cm along top and bottom of waistband (also turning under bottom of waistband), then bought both folded edges of the band together. Tacked in the middle then stitched. Hurrah!

Inside view

The only other alteration to the pattern I made was stitching a patch pocket to the front.

Really really pleased with the results! Apparently I'm much more accurate with cutting, measuring and stitching when I'm making things for other people! I'm tempted to make one for myself... Especially after trying this one on and my mom saying I looked like a bunny girl! Ha!


x

Location: Home Sweet Home, Sheffield

No comments:

Post a Comment