Sunday 18 February 2018

New Look K6230, Raglan Jumper


It's a go-to pattern. I love this New Look 6230 Raglan jumper pattern. I've made a few variations now, but each time that wide neckline has got on my nerves a bit. I thought I would give it a miss this time, when it's this cold you don't need both yer shoulders out!


This lovely sparkly green fabric was yet more fabric from my leaving prezzie. I found it in Abakhan in their sparkly festive bins downstairs. It's soft to touch, quite thin but is fleecy on the underside.


I wanted to make something casual, and also warm. I know I've made a few New Look raglans before but this time I wanted it to be perfect. No more massive neckline!!





The first thing I did was work out just how much of the neck I wanted to take out. I tried on my first lovely orange raglan and pinched out about 5cms. I then transferred this to my pattern piece, making sure it was only the neckline that I was altering, not the rest of the fit. I took this out of the front piece, and I have always omitted the seam out of the centre back (just why would it need to be there?!).




From there on, it's a pretty easy top to make. I overlocked all seams without stitching on the normal machine first. The fiddliest bit was making a neckband to fit. I think it ended up being about 5cms shorter than the neckline to avoid it gaping or puckering. I kept pinning it on then trying it on until it stretched round perfectly.


I added cuffs. I've done this before, I definitely wanted them on here to avoid it looking too pyjama top-ish. They too were about 5cm shorter than the sleeve circumference. Dead happy with how all my seams lined up! It can be a bit fiddly because the cuff it so small and you have to really get in there and stretch it out to fit.


I had decided from the moment I touched this fabric that I didn't want a hem on it. I wanted it to be really casual to contrast the sparkles, so I wanted to let the bottom just naturally roll where I cut it. The jumper is a little cropped from the original pattern, but still quite modest for me! Hey!


This jumper is super comfy and still love how the pattern lends itself to little tweaks making it different each time. Love the fabric too, muted tone with sparkles. What more could you ask for?




x

Location: Brown Lane/Charles Street, Sheffield Hallam area
Currently listening to: Alone Together, Nabihah Iqbal

No comments:

Post a Comment