I found this viscose fabric at the Direct Fabric Warehouse again in Sheffield. There were a couple that caught my eye but I was particularly keen on the large print of this one.
The instructions in the magazine were really easy to follow, from layout and cutting to assembling the garment. It wasn't until I reached the stage of sewing the side seams that I realised the pattern involved using french seams. This was my first attempt at sewing french seams and it seemed to go pretty well.
The only problem I really faced in making the kimono was when adding on the band that goes around the front and neck of the garment. The instructions say to attach the ends at the left and right side first then fold over and sew the folded band to the inside of the kimono. I found that I hadn't cut the band accurately enough, so the band didn't quite match up on the inside. I undid one of the ends I had previously sewn and trimmed a little at an angle so it would fit. Sewing the inside of the band to the inside of the kimono required hand sewing so the invisible catch-stitches could hold it into place.
Currently listening to: Robert Farnon, Manhattan Playboy