Sunday 3 April 2022

Panelled Knickers, 2021


Sewing is an important form of expression for me, much like writing this blog and getting dressed in the morning. Recently I’ve been feeling really good – there’s a lot of really exciting stuff going on right now and knowing that this feeling is unlikely to last forever I have been trying really hard to acknowledge,  embrace and appreciate it. So, naturally, I made some fancy knickers. And then I showed everyone on Instagram. And now I’m showing everyone on Blogger and Minerva too.
Body positivity, but make it accessible, not angry. There’s still a stigma I think, around women who band around the body positivity tag like it’s a protest against something. And I feel the response of the viewer is still commonly one of slight unease and an uncertainty of how to respond. Don’t be a pervert! But also you have to appreciate my body or else you’re closed minded. You’re not allowed to be jealous, but you must be envious. It’s a minefield. My heart felt so big to find that most of the reactions I got on Instagram were from other seamstresses who were both excited about my knicker success and excited about creating their own knicker success. 


I was really inspired by a single shot from @justkatemakes who’s memade bikini post captured the fun and freedom that I feel when making and wearing memade lingerie. Although it’s not my first time using panels to create shape and fabric juxtaposition, I thought there was such a lovely elegance to @justkatemakes ‘s bikini set and I wanted to emulate that. With that in mind I wanted to omit my lumpy sideseams and instead draft a side panel that would join, hidden between the front panel and its lining and then to a back seam in a bum panel shaped to accentuate the small of my back and errrm, the round of my ass.

Its funny isn’t it – there are so many pictures of pants that pop up on my insta feed. On models, off models, handmade, store bought, pattern pieces, how-to’s, how not-tos, lace and elastic and sewing supplies, whole accounts dedicated to making underwear. Yet I post a photoset and part of me still thinks ugh, was that a good idea? Will it some how come back on me? My ex would have slaughtered me, my mom now used to these antics would probably roll a jovial eye and tell me not to get cyber bullied. I note some of my closest female friends avoided hitting the like button, but those that sew and understand the joy of creating were instantly celebratory…. Not that I’m scrutinising, just observing. Even if you’re happy with your body and people seeing it there is still a fear of being perceived as arrogant for not being shy, or arrogant for then writing a blog post about how you’re not shy.

But the way I see it is this. We will not be this young and free and celebratory of our bodies forever, other things will take importance and rightly so. I want to embrace body positivity and sewing and how healthy I feel right now as some kind of bookmark. I don’t want to forget this feeling. 

x

Location: Mama's House
Currently Listening to: Locomotiove, Crystal Pistol

1 comment:

  1. Great pants, and fit....moving side seams away from sides a great idea....

    ReplyDelete