Sunday 12 July 2020

Simple Sew, Lapwing Shorts Hack



I imagine most seamstresses are familiar with that heart-sinking feeling when you realise you're just 20cm off making your dream garment from your perfect fabric. When you've explored all the different possible layplans and you've flipped your pattern pieces around that many times that you don't know up from down any more. Well, for the first time ever, I had the complete opposite issue - I'd already made two garments from this lovely viscose scattered in tiny hearts and I'd got plenty left for something else. 


I could never see this fabric as anything other than pyjamas, with PJ bottoms and camisole already in the bag I thought I'd make some matching PJ shorts now that the nights are warmer. 


I used the Simple Sew Lapwing pattern again, making a few obvious changes - the first being making the pattern well, shorts length. With the side seams being straight it was quite easy to measure the length I wanted and then square them off at the bottom. From the top of the pattern piece down to the bottom along the outside leg measured 40cm, and the inner leg seam was 9cm. 


I decided to omit the pockets this time for a few reasons. 1- I was worried the extra fabric would add a little unwanted bulk/weight and make my shorts a little less shimmy, 2-  I really didn't want the bottom of the pockets to poke out of the bottom of my leg, I could have amended the shape but, 3- Maybe I was just a bit damn lazy! No regrets here though!


I was tempted to add a shirred waist like I had done on my full-length Lapwings, but I had the perfect width waistband elastic in my stash so I opted to turn under the top of the shorts by 1.5cm, press and then turn under again and stitch around to create a channel. As I was using elastic not drawstring I omitted the drawstring openings and just stitched around the little gap I'd left myself after inserting the elastic. 


To add a bit of a professional finish to the waistband, I did a row of stitching across the top and bottom, stitching though both the fabric and the elastic. This stops the elastic from flipping, twisting and shifting inside the casing. You have to make sure to pull the waist out as you sew so that when the elastic pings back into place all the gathers it creates are evenly distributed. 


To jazz up the front a bit I made a bow out of yet more leftover fabric (!) and hand stitched to the centre front. I used the guide to making bows from the Secrets of Sewing Lingerie book and played around with the width and length of the bow. It's easy to make (you just use one piece of fabric folded and stitched cleverly for the horizontal bit and then a separate section is wrapped around vertically to hold it all together. Cute huh?


To hem I turned under and pressed 1cm, and then turned under another 1cm and stitched. As I'd cut the legs so square it was easy to get a nice neat finish, though I would like to have a play around with curved hems next time to maybe add a bit of a flirty flare.


What do you think though - Flirty enough at that length?! 


Of course no PJ set is complete without a matching scrunchie! This was a super quick and satisfying little make, and totally necessary now my hair is getting longer! I followed this How to Make a Scrunchie tutorial from Melly Sews. Great thing is, is once you've made one you can go back and make one to match every outfit you've ever sewn!


I still have some fabric left... What next?


x

Location: Endcliffe Village, Sheffield
Currently Listening To: Trouble With My Baby, Paloma Faith

No comments:

Post a Comment