Sunday 8 March 2020

McCalls M7575, Shirt


Sometimes I think I'm pretty poor at playing around with patterns to their full advantage. This is my fifth time making the McCalls M7575 shirt, but the first time I've decided to make the mandarin collar variation. I could happily have whizzed together another shirt collar variation but I thought it might be time to mix it up a bit.


I bought this fabric back in April on a fabric trawl in Leeds with my sewing buddy and style icon Charlotte from Scenes From the Sewing Room. I had either shirt of shirtdress in mind, but I loved the fabric so much I wanted to sick to tried and tested! Cowardly I know! But it has definitely encouraged me to add SHIRTDRESS to my must-makes for 2020.


The stripes took a billion years to cut out as usual, making sure that both sides of the shirt were super symmetrical. It's a pain cutting out but it really pays you back later when you start matching all your pieces up for stitching. And that feeling when your bust darts are pure symmetry!!! ❤️❤️❤️ I love the varying widths of stripe on this print creating that barcode effect! The stripes also help with cutting out and sewing the plackets on to the shirt. Just follow the straight line of the stripe. Easy!


I think I may have picked slightly too heavy a interfacing for the placket though, as it stands a little proud when I sit down etc. Next time I'm only going to interface half of the placket okay!! In contrast to this, the collar could have done with both the inside and outside pieces interfacing, as it really relies on that structure to keep it's shape. Neither things have been too disastrous though, the shirt is still comfy and fits well so I think only a trained eye (or those of you reading this!) will spot the interfacing issue.


I'd been looking forward to finally getting these buttons into action. Bought on the same shopping trip to Leeds their little Aztec-style details really adda flash of interest down the centre front. Definitely worth checking out the button selection in Samuel Taylor's if you're looking for some glammy buttons.


There is a reason this pattern is such a go-to for me. This shirt will be perfect for office days and for nights out with pals. It's the perfect length for tucking in, I can't wait to have a play around with this pattern to make myself the ultimate shirtdress for 2020 :)


x

Location: R.A.G Vintage, Norfolk Street, Sheffield
Currently Listening to: Desire, Josefin Ohrn and the Liberation

1 comment: