Sunday 12 May 2019

McCalls M7575, Shirt


Am I supposed to feel guilty for not branching out and trying a new shirt pattern? Because I don't, I really don't. My McCalls 7575 shirts have been staple in my work-wardrobe so it's no surprise I wanted to make more. There are also no surprises that when I spotted this black and white geometric fabric in Hillsborough I just had to have it.



The print is pretty crazy, but crazy enough to not really have to worry about pattern matching! My main aim was to make sure obvious horizontals were still horizontal and lined up across the front, and that the centre back wasn't wonky. Think I succeeded!





The fabric is a lot lighter than that I chose to make my last McCalls shirt from, so I had to think twice about what interfacing to choose this time round. I picked a lightweight for the yoke, medium for the collar. I used a slightly heavier for the front band following the gaping situation I had on my first shirt, where I had used a much too light interfacing and the button band lost all structural integrity all together!


Looking back I think I shouldn't have gone quite so heavy this time round as the band tends to 'bounce' up with a mind of its own. But on the plus side 0 gaping which was definitely my main concern!


I mixed things up a bit with the buttons this time round. I spotted these cute silver ones on the market in Sheffield and thought they would make a nice difference to the simple black ones I had in mind.


Other than that this shirt was a well behaved make! Nice and sassy for the office, maybe even tuck it into jeans for a trip to town... Probably whilst on the hunt for more monochrome fabrics!


x

Location: Love Square, Sheffield
Currently listening to: Nightclub, The Vaccines

No comments:

Post a Comment