Sunday, 17 May 2015
Love Sewing Magazine/Simple Sew, Ruby Dress
It's been a long time coming, but my Ruby Dalmatian Dress is finally here!
I decided to make this dress in class as I wanted to be sure to make a dress that was going to fit- and learn the proper may to make adjustments if it didn't.
As luck would have it, there weren't many adjustments to make to this pattern. I took in the bust darts by about a cm on each side and extended the waistline by about a cm so it would sit on my natural waist. I also made the neckline a little lower- but I was told this may have only needed changing as I didn't stick to the 1.5cm seam allowance on the neck and arm facings.
I learnt it is essential to construct and insert the facings before sewing up the sideseams (!) otherwise you get into a right mess and the unpicker has to make an appearance. I also tired my hand for the first time at understitching- which wasn't mentioned on the pattern. Basically its a cute little row of stitches on the insides of the dress that holds the facing down. Sneaky.
On this dress I was advised to sew a narrow hem- from the right side- just turning over the overlocking to the back. Looks pretty neat!
I had a bit of trouble inserting the invisible zip- for some reason it sent my machine absolutely wacky! When I came to do it at college it ran much smoother. I'm thinking there was just a bad fluff situation going on in the workings...
If I make another I will make extra effort to pattern-match around the zip area- though I always find this difficult as I always have to take more in at zip putting in stage. So maybe I'll just make my next one on block colours!
Check out what else has been happening in class on my lovely friend Aimee's new Blog!
Currently listening to: It's Up To You Now, Black Keys