Monday 8 May 2023

Mood Sewciety, D'Arcy Bralette + So Zo Knickers hack Pt. 2


You know it's physically impossible for me to make a bralette pattern without making matching knickers right? 

This is a hack of So Zo's free knicker pattern. This includes front panel, back panel and side panels, so actually omits the need for side seams. The front and back panels are lines with powermesh, so the seam allowances are hidden inside. 


I toyed with a few different ideas of how I wanted to place my fabric. The main decision being whether I wanted my side panels to be polka dotty or not! I opted for no spots on the side panels to create a contrast. The front and back panels made from the same fabric combos as my D'arcy Bralette to create the match! 

My absolute favourite part of sewing is when 2D becomes 3D. Once the panels are all assesmbled and the gusset it attached in the same manner (little bit of t-shirt jersey for the insiode gusset panel๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿป), you can really see that your knickers are well on the way! From there on it's all about your elastic choices. 


For me, there wasn't an awful lot of choice... This was a matter of elastic leftovers, whilst trying to match the bralette as much as possible. Sadly I didn't have enough left of either of the elastics I used to trim the bralette, however I did have a length of strap left to match the straps I used. I stitched this straight onto the top of the knickers, using a zig-zag stitch made up of smaller stitches (which I don't think I have ever used before!) to cover the width of the strap and also remain stretchy so stitches don't twang when I pull then up over my bum. The magic touch was sewing one of the gold rings as a cute little emblem to the centre front. 


Leg elastic was just a classic picot finish. Wearing the knickers you can't tell at all, but when they are off I think you can tell I added a little too much tension around the gusset. I always find it so hard to judge. I remember I was once advised to increase the pull on the elastic when finishing leg holes around the hoo-hah and the bum cheek to avoid gaping. A little bit of pracice needed here but nothing I don't think I can errr...bottom for next time. 


I'm happy with the vibe of these, and also love how consistent they are with the bralette. Next time I think I would add maybe an inch to the top??? to make them a little more high-waisted ๐Ÿ’‹ 


x
Location: Home sweet sweet home
Currently listening to: Life Is But a Dream, Findlay

No comments:

Post a Comment