Sunday 10 March 2019

Simplicity 8513, Bodysuit


Having made a toile and then a second wearable toile, I was so PSYCHED to make my perfect Simplicity 8513 body suit. Still too scared to snip into my gold and black stretch jersey, I decided the best way to tackle this fear was just to buy more lovely fabric. That's logic right?


I picked up this spangly lycra from Abakhan, it was a tough choice between an abundance of sparkly stretch fabrics in the stash bins downstairs, but after much deliberation, this beauty made it to my basket.


My fabric was thinner and loooads stretchier than my first so I wanted to be mindful that I didn't make the bodysuit too large. As my first was a little on the tight side though, I followed my amended pattern without making any further changes and was really happy with the fit.


I had to be careful cutting out as there were some slight anomaly gold blobs on the fabric that I really didn't want running across the centre front of my garment. Due to pattern piece layout the blobs were unavoidable, but they are now carefully placed on my right bum cheek! No one need ever know eh.


I decided not to TOPSTITCH the neck line as the pattern suggests, as on my previous two attempts the jersey had stretched a little on one side of the V. The topstitching is meant to stop the facing from peeking out but as the top is nice and snug and my understitching was pretty sweet, there was no chance of me flashing my facing.


I used some cute elastic from The Button Shed to finish my leg holes by sewing wrong side of the elastic to the right side of the garment, then flipping to the inside to hide the seams. I hand stitched my snaps to the crotch, making sure the 'male' part of the popper is on the inside of the front and the 'female' half of the popper sits on the outside of the back.


Thread through a piece of lace to keep the Vneck from being quite so revealing and then there you go! Love using this pattern alongside this sparkly fabric. Anyone for some fancy sleeves next time...............?


x

Location: Heeley Millennium Park / Lumley Street, Sheffield
Currently listening to: Dance All Night, Ryan Adams

1 comment:

  1. Fancy sleeves sounds great! So will your next version finally be with the special fabric then? 😎

    ReplyDelete