Saturday 16 March 2019

Simplicity 8513, Bodysuit


I've definitely got the Simplicity 8513 bug! This was the fourth time I'd cut the pattern, but this time I really wanted to try out those lush bell sleeves.


This time I opted for the more modest neckline which was just a case of using the same pattern piece then rounding it off higher up. This version also means you can omit the facing, meaning more fabric left over to cut those sleeves!!


Instead there is an additional pattern piece to attach as a neckband which you stretch around the head hole. I would usually attach this with the overlocker but this ribbed fabric I chose was sooo stretchy I was really worried it would stretch out as I stitched.




Instead I used a narrow zigzag on my normal machine then top stitched the seam allowance down. This felt a bit risky as it would be REALLY obvious around the neck if my stitching was off! I was super cautious not to stretch it out of shape when I stitched. Not gonna lie, there was a moment I thought I was gonna fuck it up, but I pulled it back!




Onto those sleeves, they are beautiful no?




I've seen some really sassy velvet ones online which I could certainly be tempted by. I cut and attached the sleeves only to find that they realllly didn't need hemming. Yesss! I was worried adding a hem would make them a bit too weighty and distract from how lovely they are. Also from bad experiences with hemming rib in the past I was full of fear that they would stretch out and be completely ruined!


I used the same 1cm seam allowance that I used on my other body suits, though I think I could have upped this to 2cm or maybe more due to the stretchiness of the fabric. Ooooh sewing with knits can be so hard to judge sometimes! My bodysuit didn't really suffer from it though, it still fits nicely, but there is perhaps just a tiny bit too much fabric in the underarm.




The fabric was also stretchy lengthways too, so I made the gusset area a little shorter to ensure a snug fit.





Love it! I love how simple this one is, but how the sleeves add that extra bit of interest. Definitely one for gigging now the new band is up and running :)



x

Location: The Mount, Broomhill, Sheffield
Currently listening to: Speed Of Pain, Marilyn Manson

No comments:

Post a Comment