Sunday 29 May 2022

Burda 6263, Necktie Shirt


Note: I wrote this blog in Jan 2022 but have been waiting until MAY to get some decent weather to get these pics! The chronology of my blog has gone waaaaay off track, so read this blog as if it were still winter and we don't yet know what beautiful things this year has in store for us...


Hi there! Hey! Hello, it's me! I'm back! I guess you might not recognise me with that HOMEOWNER glow I have going on? Or maybe it's because I officially grew my fringe out this time? 

I've been pretty damn busy, but I can tell you I've also been pretty damn happy. Moving was actually quite a streamlined process, the big hold up being getting the studio floor laminated before I moved all my sewing stuff in. 


So this is my first make of 2022 - The first make from my new house! The pattern is Burda 6263 - what drew me to it was this nifty neck tie - come - collar which I don't think I've seen on a pattern before. This pattern is definitely under represented on the socials. I hope this post inspires some of you to give it a go - I think with different fabrics could make this shirt really versatile. 



My fabric was from Abakhan stash bins last summer, and bought with my leaving-money from my old job (thanks guys!). I love the geometric print (obv) and the subtle colours - navy, maroon and cream combine to create quite a retro feel. This teamed with the necktie is giving me majoy Peggy Mad Men vibes, but the over-sized sleeves and loose waist offer a more relaxed teen-grunge feel. Together I think these elements create the mixed-up, voyage of self discovery, like-a-little-bit-of-everything, Art School shirt that I keep dreaming of. 


Once I'd cut the paper, I thought the pattern looked really short in the body so I thought I was being really smart when I added an exta 5cm to the pattern length of view A. Not neccessary. The armholes are really low for those big sleeves, adding length to the body. I cut a size 10 according to my measurements, but of course as usual I could have cut an 8 and I don't think I'd have needed to cut down on the PopTarts (anyone else get obsessed with these the moment they moved out?!). Luckily my fabric has THE most gorgeous drape to it, the oversizedness of it falls really nicely against my body and it also feels so lush! The fabric really was a lucky find! All the joys of soft drapey fabric but with very little fraying or snagging. 

The pattern advised cutting the necktie on the bias - I'm not doubting Burda - I'm sure with some fabrics this is deffo neccessary, however due to fabric limitations I cut it on the grainline and hoped for the best. I think it worked fine, but again that may just be further credit to the qualities of this fabric. 

The drop shoulders add length to the sleeves too (kind of obvious when you think about it). They appear really oversized until you add the pleats and cuffs, then WOW we're back in Mad Men and we're storming the boardroom. 


I know I've said it before, but it's always such a pleasure when I can find some buttons from my gran's old stash bag. There were exactly 8 of these cute silvery buttons gleaming at me in her bag. Perfect retro vibes to compliment the fabric! While I've been away I may not have been sewing but I promise I have been keeping up to date on Insta sewing tips. I remembered seeing one using masking tape to mark button holes- I have now tried and tested this and can confirm it's a winner! SO much easier to follow than bobbly wobbly chalk lines or fabric pen that disappears into your print. I also improvised and used UHU glue as an attempted seal on my button holes??? Anyone done this? Buttonholes really are my nemesis, so willing to try any tips and tricks to make them more reliable. 


I'm so glad the Burda 6263 went without any hitches and that I love the finished thing as much as I do. I was so worried I would have forgotten how to do it!! Words can't explain how much I have missed sewing while I have been moving. I've been trying to channel creativity into doing up the house and a bit of scrapbooking, but nothing quite compares to taking 100+ selfies in the mirror in your homestudio, wearing a shirt you just stitched together. 


It's great to be back. Say hello to new and improved, 2022 Angela Holland.


x

Location: Loxleys, Kiln Street
Currently listening to: I Just Want To Make Love To You, Etta James

No comments:

Post a Comment