Sunday 8 August 2021

Simplicity 1370, Skort

This is my second version of Simplicity's 1370 Skort Pattern. I touched on my last post that I love the practicality of a skort- the "can go shorter than a skirt without flashing"-ness of them, the "I can power walk up this hill at a greater speed because my skirt isn't riding up"-ness. This pattern even includes pockets for stashing your important practical items (so long as they are small cause they're not super deep ok?).
I made a few very subtle changes to the pattern as I went a ong which I identified could be done when I made my first. The first change really was taking a little bit in at the hips. The pattern packet does suggest the skort is worn below the waist, and to that brief I do think my first one fits well. I do however have the desire to wear it a little higher every time I take it out the wardrobe- I think because the weight of the flaps on the front just cause it to sag a little at the front. So to combat this I took in 1 cm at either side of the waistband then graded back out to the hips in the skort. 
As mentioned in my previous post, I added some really light interfacing to the two front flaps to add a bit more structure. I think this was a really successful move, the seams are just a bit crisper and the flaps don't crease so much when sitting.

Invisible zip! I was dying to add one of these to V1, but by the time I'd identified this I'd already sewn and overlocked the crotch seams and I thought it would have been difficult to insert without being able to flip the shorts legs around when stitching the zip in. This time I was prepared though. I left finishing the crotch seam until the zipper was in. I think it worked really well. I was also able to manipulate how much seam allowance there needed to be in the centre back (I think it ended up being about the width of the zipper tape). This could easily have been increased or decreased had I taken in too much or not enough on the side seam alteration.

Again I chose to blind hem the hem instead of having a visible stiching line. I do quite like the chunky wide hem on the pattern but I think this would only have really worked if I had a visible seam line on my flaps (I'm conscious of how many times I've used the word flaps now aghhh). Again I lined the.. flaps, this time I had a brainwave and used some leftover pink satin which has this lovely iridecence to it. I think the pink lining looks sooooo chic! I'm really glad I chose it, and also that there was enough left to use haha!
I think that's it for changes to the pattern really. I double interfaced the waistband again as I thought the skort was calling out for structure. My stitch in the ditch was perfect and caught the inside of the waistband facing perfectly first time! I'm also happy with the matching up of the two sides of waistband at the zip. It's little details like this that I love because they really highlight how far I've come as a stitcher- particularly when the techniques are now coming so naturally.
A special mention has to go to my lovely lovely fabric. This was £11.99 a meter - which is probably more than I would usually spend on something, but a) I love houndstooth! And I feel like it's been sooo long since I made or even bought anything houndstoothy! b) I had a voucher from my mum for xmas to use in Hillsborough Fine Fabrics and when they finally reopened after lockdown I was chomping at the bit to treat myself c) I knew the skort didn't require much fabric, so I only bought a meter and it was plenty. There is a little square left of it which might come in for patch pockets or something on a garment one day. d) And finally, I could tell it was good quality- it felt nice to touch and had some level of wool content in it. I'd done all the groundwork on this pattern and knew I was on to a winner.
I hope you like my chic little skort as much as I do! This time I inserted the flaps the right way round! Who else has made one? Were you tempted to line the panels? Or maybe you've tried the skirt pattern or the shorts featured in the Simplicty 1370? Or perhaps a different skort pattern all together? Or maybe you've got big plans for some houndstooth of your own?? I would love to see.
x
Location: Biddulph Grange
Currently listening to: I Hate Boys, Christina Aguilera

No comments:

Post a Comment