Sunday 10 January 2021

New Look 6107 Blouse

Whilst uploading past posts onto my Minerva account I was reminded about the New Look 6107 blouse pattern that I made before but never quite felt like I'd hit the nail on the head with it. I wasn't a very experienced sewer when I first tried this blouse, and although my attempt wasn't bad and the result was certainly wearable, I think I tried to cut a few corners and as a result I am always aware of the weak spots whenever I pull this from the back of the wardrobe.

This luscious crepe de chine from Minerva was the perfect weight for my second shot at this pattern, it's SO light and airy! The fabric doesn't crease easily but it actually presses really well, meaning that the gathers on the chest and sleeves sit so nicely with a bit of a bounce to them. The gathers hardly create any bulk in the seam allowance though as the fabric is so light!
I really love the unusual geometric design of the print. I was a little bit intimidated at the idea of pattern matching this! But with a bit of careful cutting out it was possible to create symmetrical pieces which really helps keep your sewing accurate when putting it together. I cut the back yoke 'upsidedown' if you like so that I could create a cool mirror-imagey seam across the shoulders. 

I used a sharp needle for sewing all my seams with this fabric as it was so light I didn't want the machine to eat it.
For this version of the blouse I decided to to the cap sleeves.... the long sleeves are just tooo poofy for me! I was worried I wouldn't like the sleeve gathers as I'm not usually a fan, but I think they look quite cute! 
My favourite part assembling the top is probably the button placket. The button holes are loops not holes (yay!), so you just have to be super accutare matching all the raw edges of the hoops and the placket up when sewing- a few millometers out and you might not be able to push your button through! Shhh I fixed it though okay!! 
Marking the pattern dots and clips on this one is really important, particularly at the neck opening. You want to be able to tuck all your raw edges into the inside of the neck tie without anything peeking out. If you abide by the dots you should be okay! I chose to handstitch the inside of the neck band to the neck seam as it just felt like it would be more accuarate than stitching in the ditch the whole way around.
My second shot at this pattern is a definite improvememnt on my first! I love how the creaseless-ness of the fabric helps with it's tuck-in-ablity, so absolutely perfect for work.

You can buy yourself some of this fabric HERE, why not try a different colour way?
Follow my Minerva page HERE.

Happy sewing for 2021!


x

Location: Livesy Street, Sheffield
Currently listening to: English Summer Rain, Placebo

No comments:

Post a Comment