Sunday 22 November 2020

Simplicity 8529 Jumper

 I knew from the moment I saw this fabric that I wated to make a chunky, slouchy, 'I'm welcoming Autumn!' jumper, with a slight flare of fisherman-chic to it.

It was a toss up between patterns- I was keen on the Tilly and the Buttons Nora jumper, both patterns feature dropped shoulders for that snuggly look, but the all-in-one neck of the Simplicity 8592 pattern was what swung it for me. 


The fabric was an Abakhan off-cut so I was quite liited to how much I could play with the pattern placement. I would perhaps have preferred the blue stripes at the neckline, but this was a small sacrifice to make to ensure my sleeve and side seams all matched up... Symmetrical heaven! I am so pleased with the stripe matching at the seams, especially as I'd suffered a finger injury a week before making and my dexterity was still slighty compromised! 
The cuffs and bottom band are great because they are aboue the same size as the sleeve/bottom of the jumper, therefore you don't have to stretch out the bands too much as you sew. This reduces ballooning around the openings but also adds a cosy, sturdy finish to the jumper, making it draught-free for windy Autumn days! 

As the pattern is not fitted, I think it oculd have looked better with a drapey-er fabric- the neck is quite bulky and I prefer to fold it back on itself inside again to I don't look trapped! I love the snuggliness of the jumper though so definitely glad I shose to pair this pattern and fabric. The pattern features different neck and hem variations so there's plenty of options to play with next time. 


I made a size 10 and I think this was the best cut for me. I would make again! Let's face it, I will probably make a few in subtley different striped fabrics! Its quick to come together and doesn't require too much concentration... or finger dexterity apparently!


x

Location: Tinsley Canal, Sheffield
Currently listening to: Everything Counts, Depeche Mode

No comments:

Post a Comment