Sunday 28 April 2019

McCalls M7575, Shirt


Any stitcher with an office job will tell you the best way of getting through those excruciating 8 hours a day is to turn up to work in something sassy that you made yourself.


I made a McCalls M7575 shirt when I started my current job, and it's true, it does make me smile when I catch sight of myself. Annoyingly my first shrunk a tiny bit in the wash (or maybe I ate, I duno) and the button band was gaping a bit between buttons. It was easily fixed by unstitching the band and adding in some thicker interfacing... and then I took out the front darts. I swear it shrunk okay!!




I kept this in mind when I started out on my second M7575. The fabric I chose had a bit more body than my summery tropical viscose. When facing my button band I chose a heftier interfacing but decided the front darts would remain.




Cutting out using vertical stripes can make things easier as you can match up the pattern and make it really symmetrical, but also have to remember if darts are slightly misaligned then it's going to be much more obvious that you are asymmetrical.







I didn't really make any changes to the pattern, the shoulders fit really nicely and the length is perfect for tucking into my work skirt. I decided not to cut the front band on the bias as my last one stretched out a little. Straight grain all the way.


The only bit I messed up (!) for not really paying attention to the instructions was when sewing the underarm panel to the sleeve, I stitched the wrong seam to begin with (ie, not the actual underarm seam but the other side of the panel). It makes adding the cuff on a little tricker than it needed to be, but wasn't the end of the world and the end result is still the same. Would like to save myself the pain of making the same mistake again though.


I chose some super simple little buttons which I thought would compliment the bold stripes of the fabric. Love that cheeky stripe of maroon in there!


I used the button guide for gauging the buttonhole placement but made sure that I started with the button at the bust point so as to avoid any gaping.


Yay! Another finished shirt to brighten up the office. Want to make more with some fun geometric prints.

x

Location: Leppings Lane, Sheffield // Love Square, Sheffield
Currently listening to: Express Yourself, N.W.A.

2 comments:

  1. Loving your shirt, that fabric is gorgeous! And never a truer word said than that first sentence!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great work, it couldn't look better on you.

    ReplyDelete