Saturday 4 July 2015

Simplicity 2447 Sleeveless Misses' Shirt: Denim


As promised, another Simplicity 2447 in denim!

The denim I found in Direct Fabric Warehouse is the perfect quality for shirtmaking, soft and comfortable and it presses beautifully! I also picked out some yellowy gold thread for topstitching and the most cowboy buttons I could find on the market. The sneaky surprise with this garment though is the paisley patterned inner neckband- fabric courtesy of my prize fabric from Minerva Crafts, when I was featured Star Make in Love Sewing Magazine. I won quite a wadge of lovely fat quarters and am going to try my upmost to fit some sneaky little bits into future makes as I go along.



I used the same pattern my college tutor altered for me- making the shirt the same fit as my last. Again this fabric was a dream to sew- for once the inside looks as good as the out! No dodgy stitching to hide. The hardest part I found again was when sewing on the button plackets. It can be really difficult once folding under the band to the inside to tell how close your stitching is to the edge. As you are looking at this from the rightside I find it can be really easy to discover you are sewing miles away from the fold on the reverse, or just as likely you won't catch it at all! Any tips on this would be great?
Same applies to stitching the neck band down from the right side- I'm so tempted to do this by hand in the future- though maybe I should just work on my stitch-in-the-ditch techniques?!


Where I have sewn the yoke to the back I seem to have deviated from my 1.5 cm seam allowance. I'm quite certain it was more like 1 cm which has made the back of the arm holes a bit baggy. But I think it could be one of those things no one really notices unless I point it out. So maybe just pretend I said nothing!




The shirt is a great fit and really comfy to wear. I think next time though there are no excuses not to have a go at shirt sleeves...


x

Currently watching: Wimbledon, Ward vs Pospisil
Location: Botanical Gardens, Sheffield

3 comments:

  1. Very nice! I love the patterned inner neckband!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Thought it was a sneaky touch!

      Delete
  2. This is great! I love the pattern on the inside of the collar, what a great idea.

    ReplyDelete